How You Can Help Animals Impacted by Hurricane Harvey
Hurricane Harvey swept through Houston last week as a Category 4 hurricane. It devastated the area with a record 50 inches of rain and immense flooding. The rain continues, and sadly this weather event has displaced, injured and killed many animals including family pets, horses, livestock and wildlife.
Even while dealing with this major disaster, people throughout the state and across the country have been doing their best to help the animals impacted by the hurricane. The videos and images shown across the internet and television are absolutely heartbreaking, and it is clear that rescue teams and shelters cannot tackle this disaster alone. So, what can you do to help?
Relief is on the Way
Luckily, there are many disaster relief organizations in support of large and small animals affected by the hurricane. Some organizations support emergency response and rescue missions, while others support local shelters. Donating to a reputable organization such as the AAEP or Houston SPCA is one way to make a huge difference.
Whether you want support horses, family pets, wildlife or livestock, we have put together a list of all the major non-profit organizations helping to provide assistance. Keep in mind, there are other ways to help, especially for those who live in Texas. Many local organizations are accepting donations but also in need of supplies and volunteers. Shelters will be overflowing, so now is a great time to adopt or foster a pet. Whichever way you choose to help, know that every little bit of support counts and could help save an animal's life.
- American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) Equine Disaster Relief Fund
- United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) Equine Disaster Relief Fund
- Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH Intl) Disaster Relief Fund
- Texas Equine Veterinary Association
- Houston SPPCA Disaster Relief Fund
- Houston Humane Society
- The Humane Society of the United States Disaster Relief Fund
- Petco Foundation
- Best Friends
- Dog Rescue Spot (Texas Relief Listing)
Livestock & Wildlife
Other Ways You Can Help
- Adopt or foster an animal
- Donate supplies to shelters in need
- Volunteer your time at a shelter
- Assist local rescue groups
- Join the Hurricane Harvey Animal Rescue Facebook Group
Please share this information with family members, friends, and anyone wanting to help all those in need!